Discover the story of Buzz Lightyear on the epic space adventure from Disney and Pixar studios Light year debuts on all major digital platforms on August 3 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on September 13.
Described as an “extremely fun action sci-fi movie that will put a smile on the face of fans of the character” (Ross Bonaime, Collider) and Certified-Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes™, Light year brings the iconic Space Ranger’s origin story to life.
From Disney and Pixar comes an animated sci-fi action-adventure – the definitive origin story of Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Chris Evans), the hero who inspired the toy. Light year follows the legendary Space Ranger on an intergalactic adventure alongside ambitious recruits, Izzy, Mo and Darby, and his robot companion Sox. As this ragtag crew embarks on their toughest mission yet, they must learn to work as a team to escape the evil Zurg and his army of devoted robots who are never far behind.
Pixar fans can add to their toy story movie collection and access bonus content including exclusive deleted scenes, featurettes and audio commentary from filmmaker Angus MacLane. Check out the full list of features below.
Note that bonuses vary by product and retailer.
- Introduction to Deleted Scenes – Director Angus MacLane presents six scenes which are all drawn, set to music, timed and voiced, but are not included in the final version of this amazing film – which took five and a half years to make!
- The dump – In one of LIGHTYEAR’s original opening scenes, we explore Proxima B, with its carnivorous plants, sulfur pits, strange insects, hot climate and lack of coffee! A familiar Space Ranger volunteers to risk it all in an effort to return to Earth.
- Polly – Buzz relives childhood memories when he visits an aeronautical museum where his father is memorialized. There, he finds Polly, his father’s robot bird companion, who has a very revealing recorded message intended for Buzz!
- Meet Izzy – After young Izzy and her family (including her brother Maurice) move in next door to Buzz, the adorable, talkative girl breaks into Buzz’s house, warms up to Sox, and asks Buzz a lot of questions.
- Up there in the den – After his spaceship crashes and he ends up in the rookie Space Rangers bunker, Buzz discovers cheese snacks and a character whose role was cut due to the weather. He also receives shocking information about his father.
- inclined ship – The Star Command Space Rangers of the 56th Airborne Alpha Quadrant encounter Buzz and the Space Ranger students. Buzz is given a truth serum so he exposes everything he knows about his father’s connection to the aliens who have taken over Proxima B.
- Paternity – Buzz wakes up in what he thinks is his childhood home, where he meets his father, who was a time travel pilot just like him. But it turns out he’s on the alien mothership destroying Proxima B – and hoping to defeat Buzz too!
- Building the World of Lightyear – Visits to the Johnson Space Center in Houston and to some very familiar film archives inspired the filmmakers as they embarked on the thrilling journey of creating Lightyear’s jaw-dropping production design.
- The Zap Patrol – Meet the cast who gave voice to Izzy, Mo and Darby, the untrained and unprepared rangers who join Buzz on the adventure of a lifetime. Although the misfits don’t seem ideal for the mission, their unlikely friendship helps them through tough times.
- Toyetic – Find out why Lightyear is one of the most “toy” films of all time. Join director Angus MacLane and others on the meticulous and fun process of creating toy models for spaceships and other production assets that led to the film’s richly textured animation.
- Commentary by filmmaker Lightyear – Join Director Angus MacLane, Writer Jason Headley and Cinematographer Jeremy Lasky as they give you insight into the making of this remarkable animated feature while you watch it.
Light year will also be available on Disney+.