- DASA launched an area of innovation called “Making Science Fiction a Reality: Future Directed Energy Weapons”
- Funding provided by the Defense Science and Technology Laboratory (dstl)
- £500,000 block funding available for proposals that present ideas to contribute to the first generation of deployed directed energy weapons
The Defense and Security Accelerator (DASA) is pleased to launch a Focus Innovation Space (IF A) entitled Making Science Fiction a Reality: Future Directed Energy Weapons. This IF A is looking for innovations that will contribute to the development of the first generation of directed energy weapons deployed in the land, sea and air domains.
This IF A is managed on behalf of the Defense Science and Technology Laboratory (dstl).
Block funding of £500,000 is available for this IF Awith £50,000 to £200,000 earmarked to fund each proposal.
Do you have an innovation that could help develop the first generation of directed energy weapons? Read all IF A and submit your proposal.
Development of the first generation of directed energy weapons
Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) are systems capable of selecting discrete targets that emit laser or radio frequency (RF) energy as the primary means of causing disruptive, damaging, or destructive effects on equipment or facilities.
The vision of the British Ministry of Defense (MOD) is to make directed energy weapons a realistic choice for our armed forces that can contribute to decisive advantage and maintain strategic advantage.
This IF A seeks proposals that improve the performance and/or reduce the size, mass, and volume of system and subsystem areas associated with laser and RF directed energy weapons. For example, innovations that improve:
- laser technology and RF Source
- system automation
- advanced power and cooling technologies that can eventually be integrated into military platforms
- beam control
- target detection
- Indication of battle damage
- test and evaluation
To learn more about the scope of the competition, read the full IF A document.
Submit a proposal
Do you have a solution or a new approach that could help dstl and OF THE understand the next steps to develop and field directed energy weapons in the land, sea and air domains?
Read the full competition document to learn more and submit a proposal.